If you looked fast, you saw basically everything there was to see in Washington DC, and parts of Virginia and Maryland. If, like me, you like to actually READ the placards on the displays and study the fine detail in objects then you would either have to come back on your own or miss the bus. This was the one hour and twenty-five minutes at the Air and Space Museum, one hour and thirty minutes (lunch included in that time) at the Natural History Museum, jog up the stairs to the Lincoln Memorial (at night no less - the pictures suck as we didn't have tripods), the blitzkrieg tour of Gettysburg, etc. Did you get a picture of the Iwo Jima memorial? No, my flash wasn't charged before we had to run back to the bus. The downside of course was the incredible rush to get from place to place without spending any time to really enjoy them while we were there. The upside is that we can say, "been there, sprinted through that" about most of the things in the area. Let's see, my list shows that we saw:
- National Air and Space Museum
- Museum of Natural History
- Lincoln Memorial
- Jefferson Memorial
- FDR Memorial
- Washington Monument
- White House tour
- Capitol Building guided tour
- Gettysburg battlefield guided tour
- Gettysburg visitor center and museum
- Mount Vernon tour
- Monticello tour
- Vietnam Memorial
- Korea Memorial
- WWII Memorial
- Busch Gardens (yes, a whole 6 hours there riding roller coasters!)
- Water Park
- Hauntings Tour
- Colonial Williamsburg tour
- Jamestown tour
- Attended President Bush's speech at Arlington Natl Cemetery on Memorial Day (in the Amphitheater - had to get there at 8:00 AM)
- Dinner / Dance cruise
- Yorktown tour
- National Archives
Anyway, we made it back - and didn't leave anyone behind. We did have a few stragglers on a couple of occasions - mostly the parents if you can believe that. I guess the worst items were:
- Hotel changed the keys from the credit card shaped magnetic ones to an RFID wristband lock during the day and we had to all get new keys.
- One hotel's magnetic key lock failed and a person couldn't get some of their items out of the room and we got delayed by 30 minutes (plus the items will have to be shipped back).
- Kids fighting with their roommates because many are irresponsible and won't go to sleep and insist on watching TV at all hours of the night.
- A couple of kids got dehydrated on the dance cruise and caused a bit of a scare (but they are fine).
Here's the President's address at Arlington:
Here's the WWII Memorial:
Here's the Washington Monument shot from the side of the Jefferson Memorial: